Sunday, February 26, 2006

Oil Paintings

I have decided to get back into my oil paints after a long absence. The last time I worked in oils
was back in my art school days and I stopped using them because I didn't like the smell and fumes of the turpentine . I also didn't like waiting so long for the paint to dry, thats when I started using watercolor and acrylic as I could work fast in these mediums. Now I have discovered fast drying oils called Alkyds, you can buy them at a reasonable price at art stores online. I use dickblick.com....goofy name but good art supplies. The oils are easy to work with and are reasonably dry overnight, I also discovered Turpenoid which is an orderless turpentine substitute, all my past beefs with oil have been resolved so I have dived right back into the oils. I think painting in oils gives the artist satisfaction too, at least it does with me knowing all the old masters that have painted in the medium.

I have also added a new ebay id, norton-fine-art, I feel when I do paintings that are a different subject matter then the dog and animal art I have been doing under Cleverpup that they will be listed under the new fine art id. I don't have anything going yet as I want to get 3 or 4 paintings finished before I list them under the new id. But I will let you know!

In the meantime, I just finished a little Yorkshire terrier dog on 5 x 7 inch canvas painted in the fast drying oils, she turned out pretty cute, although I know I am still getting my sea legs back in oil panting!






















Pretty in Pink Yorkie on ebay!













Sides of the gallery wrapped canvas (no staples) are painted so no need to frame!

Enjoy !

No comments: